This Committee is charged with the duty of examining all nominations for elected ISI membership duly prepared in accordance with the provisions of article 1.3 of the ISI By-Laws.
It is appointed before the end of March every second year by the Executive Committee and shall be composed of at least seven elected members, two of whom shall be elected Council members.
MEC — Terms of Reference and Process
- The Membership Elections Committee (MEC) is composed of nine members (including one chair) appointed by the ISI Executive Committee as discussed in paragraph 1.3 of the ISI By‑laws.
- The Committee is charged with the duty of examining nominations for elected membership duly prepared in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 1.2 of the ISI By‑laws. There are four rounds of elections per year. The table below gives the deadlines for ISI members to submit the completed nomination forms to the ISI Permanent Office.
- Copies of the nomination forms shall be sent by the Permanent Office to the Committee members by the dates indicated in the table below.
- Each member of the Committee shall carefully examine each nomination and, taking into account the required qualifications for admission to elected membership (as set out in Art. 3.2.c. of the ISI Statutes), shall cast a vote in favour of those candidates whom he/she considers eligible for membership of the ISI and a vote against those candidates whom he/she considers not eligible. Abstentions are allowed in exceptional cases where there is insufficient information.
- Each member of the Committee shall send their voting paper to the ISI Permanent Office by the dates indicated in the table below.
- The Permanent Office shall arrange for the counting of the votes and inform the Committee members of the results within two weeks after deadline for receipt of the voting papers.
- The recommendation of the Committee shall be decided as follows:
- five or more votes in favour: the candidate be elected;
- five or more votes against: the candidate not be elected;
- fewer than five votes in favour and fewer than five votes against: the decision be made by the Executive Committee.
- The Committee’s recommendations will be forwarded to the Executive Committee for final approval.
Deadlines for the various steps in the process
|Deadline for submitting nomination to the ISI Permanent Office (PO)
|Deadline for the PO to send nominations to Committee Members
|Deadline for Committee Members to send in their votes to the PO