The ISI Strategic Plan 2017–2021 defines statistical capacity building as a one of the Strategic Priorities of the ISI.
The ISI has been actively helping to build statistical capacity in developing countries. The 2013 White Paper on statistical capacity building defines our objectives as:
- enabling statistical practitioners in the public and private sectors to use state-of-the-art methods for data collection, analysis and interpretation;
- contributing to the development of statistical infrastructure and human resources in official, survey, and business statistics as well as in statistical education and research.
ISI SCB Committee
To accelerate our efforts in developing countries, in 2013 the ISI launched the ISI Statistical Capacity Building Committee. Its role is to advise the ISI Executive Committee (EC) on the planning, development and implementation of appropriate initiatives, besides promoting them directly.
The Committee’s objectives, as stated above, are very broad and can be seen to cover many of the ISI’s overall objectives. ISI and its Associations should work together more closely and provide good coordination, cooperation and communication with other SCB providers:
- to focus and to clarify the ISI priorities and capabilities,
- to define the role of the SCB Committee more specifically, and
- to define our strategic contribution among the other SCB players.
ISI Workshops on Leadership and Management
The ISI has organized a series of Workshops on Leadership and Management for Heads of NSOs in Africa and Asia.
- ISI/IFC High Level Meeting on Data Governance
Tunis, Tunisia, 22 November 2019
At the end November ISI and IFC organised a High Level Meeting on Data Governance back to back with the meeting of the Committee of Director Generals of National Statistics Offices (CoDG’s) in Tunis. Our High Level Meeting was characterised by interesting presentations and discussions. We had only one day at our disposal, but the discussions will certainly continue at future events.
- ISI/WB/AfDB Workshop on Leadership and Management
Yaounde, Cameroon, 6-8 April 2016
- ISI/WB/AfDB Workshop on Leadership and Management ‘Building a Strong Community of Innovative and Forward Looking Leaders in Official Statistics’
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 27-29 April 2015
ISI/WB/AfDB Workshop on Leadership and Management ‘Building a Strong Community of Innovative and Forward Looking Leaders in Official Statistics’
- ISI/WB/AfDB Atelier de Haut Niveau sur ‘Leadership et le management dans les systèmes statistiques modernes’
Dakar, Senegal, 12-14 decembre 2012
ISI/WB/AfDB Atelier de Haut Niveau sur ‘Leadership et le management dans les systèmes statistiques modernes’
- ISI/Kostat/KSS Conference ‘Expertise Builds Capacity’
Daejeon, Korea, 14-15 November 2012
ISI/Kostat/KSS Conference ‘Expertise Builds Capacity’
- ISI High Level Workshop ‘Leadership in Modern Statistical Systems’
Daejeon, Korea 12-14 November 2012
ISI High Level Workshop ‘Leadership in Modern Statistical Systems’
- ISI Workshop on ‘Leadership in Modern Statistical Systems’
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 14-16 March 2011
ISI Workshop on ‘Leadership in Modern Statistical Systems’
Other international workshops
- IASC-LARS Webinar Courses on Computational Statistics and Data Science
The Latin American Regional Section of the IASC, the IASC-LARS School on Computational Statistics and Data Science, the IASC and the ISI organised a series of Webinars on Computational Statistics and Data Science.
- Capacity Building in KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa
Set of videos made by academics from the Statistics sector of the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa.
- Capacity Building on Consulting Best Practices Technique for Women in Statistics and Data Science in Nigeria amidst the COVID-19
The event was organized by the Department of Statistics of the Nasarawa State University in Keffi, jointly with the local LISA statistical laboratory (NSUK-LISA).
- Statistical Methods in Finance 2019
Chennai, India, 16 - 21 December, 2019
- International Workshop on Sampling Methodologies for Monitoring Sustainable Development Goal Indicators, Institute of Statistical Research and Training (ISRT)
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 17 - 19 December 2019
- Lagos Workshop
Lagos, Nigeria, 10-13 September, 2019
- Statistical Methods in Finance 2018
Chennai, India, 17-20 December 2018
It was the fourth conference and workshop on Statistical Methods in Finance. The conference aimed at exposing the participants to new and active areas of research and at engaging researchers into active working groups. The conference was jointly hosted by Chennai Mathematical Institute and Indian Statistical Institute - Chennai Centre.
- Regional Workshop on Basic and Advanced Time Series Analysis: Theory, Practice, and Programming
Anchor University, Lagos, Nigeria, 11-14 September 2018
The ISBIS sponsored workshop took place at Anchor University.
- First international workshop on poverty statistics in the SAARC region
Kathmandu, Nepal, 11-14 December 2017
This first international workshop on poverty statistics in the SAARC region was organized by the National Statistical Institute of Nepal in cooperation with the ISI and with the support of the World Bank Trust Fund for Statistical Capacity Building. ok place on 11-14 December 2017.
- Workshop in Gujarat
Gujarat, India, 2015
A workshop for the purpose of Capacity Building in Statistics in South Asia was conducted in April at the Department of Statistics at the Sardar Patel University, Gujarat, India. The workshop was organized by the ISI Outreach Committee for South Asia and was funded by the World Bank Trust Fund for Statistical Capacity Building.
- Conference ‘Applied Statistics for Development in Africa (SADA)’
Cotonou, Benin, 2013
An ISI-co-sponsored Conference ‘Applied Statistics for Development in Africa (SADA)’ was organized in Cotonou, Benin, Africa on 5-8 March 2013. It was preceded by a one-day workshop for Young Statisticians supported by the World Bank Trust Fund for Statistical Capacity Building (TFSCB). The conference succeeded in facilitating interactions between researchers and professionals from universities, scientific research organizations, businesses, governments and intergovernmental bodies. One of the main objectives of the conference was to promote scientific research in statistics related to the African continent - such as famine, population mobility, public health, agriculture, food science, finance, tourism, business and industry.
- Workshop ‘Statistics in Action’
Nashik, India, 7-10 March 2013
A workshop ‘Statistics in Action’ was held on 7-10 March 2013 at Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik, Maharashtra State, India. The workshop was convened by Anil Gore and Madhav Kulkarni and was the first activity of the ISI Outreach Committee for South Asia. The meeting was preceded by winning presentations by undergraduate and bygraduate students. The main goal of the meeting was to build statistical capacity in South Asia and to bridge the gap between the teaching and the practice of statistics.
- Workshop at AIMS
Muizenberg, South Africa, 2013
At the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Muizenberg, Cape Town, South Africa, a Workshop on Environmental Statistics was held on 16-22 March 2013. The workshop was supported by the World Bank TFSCB, the ISI and AIMS. The workshop was intended to improve the capacity of statistical officers and academics in developing countries in the relatively new area of environmental statistics and, through case studies, to encourage participants to apply it in the African context.