The ISI Strategic Plan 2017-2021 defines statistical capacity building (SCB) as one of the strategic priorities of the ISI.Read the SCB page for the full background story and te activities undertaken.
With the ISI Statistical Capacity Building activities we aim to develop the capacity of individuals and organizations to increase the impact of Statistics and Data Science by:
- Enabling statistical practitioners in the public and private sectors to use state-of-the-art methods for data collection, analysis, and interpretation;
- Contributing to the development of statistical infrastructure and human resources in official, survey, environmental and business statistics as well as in statistical education and research.
The ISI Statistical Capacity Building Committee advises the ISI Executive Committee on the planning, development, and implementation of appropriate initiatives:
- Working with local and regional stakeholders to identify current efforts in SCB in that region and determining the added value that the ISI can provide.
- Working with statistical societies from developed countries to identify possible collaborations.
- Based on the above, developing recommendations for capacity building efforts in specific regions.
- Identifying fund-raising opportunities.
- Working with ISI EC, ISI Council, ISI Associations , NSOs, and leadership of other partners (e.g., IFC, RSS, IBS, ASA and other national and international statistical societies, international organizations and regional frameworks)to prepare and implement the SCB programs.
- Assessing the effectiveness of ongoing efforts.
- Organizing appropriate meetings and facilitating discussions at the World Statistical Congress.
The ISI Statistical Capacity Building Committee also organizes activities. Currently it is working on:
- a series of videos about courses in Statistics,
- courses on R for official statistics,
- courses on Data Science in cooperation with Data Campus at UK ONS,
- webinars within online courses and support for statistical literacy activities, also in cooperation with LISA.
Some of those activities have been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.
For more information about our activities undertaken, see the SCB page.
Task force and Committee
In 2018 the ISI Executive Committee (EC) appointed the Task Force:
- Fabrizio Ruggeri
- Irena Krizman
- Pedro Silva
- Misha Belkindas
- Eric Vance
- David Stern
- Matthew Shearing
- Delia North
- Diane Stukel.
The Task Force prepared the ISI SCB Strategy and Action Plan 2019–2021 and beyond.
To accelerate the SCB activities, the EC has launched this ISI Statistical Capacity Building Committee.
- Oliver J.M. Chinganya, Ethiopia, Director of the Africa Centre for Statistics (UNECA) in Addis Ababa.
- Matthew Shearing, UK, Statistical Consultant on various assignments for the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) and the World Bank.
The SCB Committee is composed of the members of the Task Force on the ISI SCB Strategy and Action Plan 2019–2021 and beyond:
- Pedro Silva, Brazil, National School of Statistical Sciences, Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics, President of the ISI 2015–2017.
- Eric Vance, USA, Director of LISA Boulder, Associate Professor 2016 at University of Colorado Boulder, Department of Applied Mathematics.
- David Stern, UK, University of Reading UK, IDEMS International.
- Delia North, South Africa, Dean and Head of the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science at UKZN.
- Diane Stukel, USA, Senior Survey Methods Advisor Food and Nutrition Technical Aid.
- Misha Belkindas, USA, Managing Director of ODW Consulting.