Organisation and Governance
The organizational structure of the ISI includes:
- The General Assembly
- The Associations
- The Executive Committee
- The Council
- The Standing Committees (Membership Election Committee & Nominations Committee)
- The Permanent Office
The ISI is led by an Executive Committee and the Council with the Director of the Permanent Office responsible to the Executive Committee for the implementation of ISI’s activities.
ISI's Executive Committee is composed of a President, a President-Elect, and four Vice
Presidents. The Director of the ISI serves as the Secretary to the Executive Committee and attends the meetings of the Executive Committee in that capacity.
The Executive Committee is responsible for developing in consultation with the Council the policies and programmes of the ISI; implementing the policies and programmes of the ISI; administering ISI financial matters; determining membership fees for organisational and affiliated members; taking all final decisions on application for membership.
The Executive Committee also convenes the General Assembly meetings; establishes and adapts the By-laws of the ISI after consultation with the Council; appoints the Director; submits the annual report that covers the ISI’s activities and finances to the General Assembly; and takes any decision relating to the acquisition, sale and mortgaging of real estate.
The Council is composed of:
- Members of the Executive Committee
- Presidents of the ISI Associations
- Immediate ISI Past President
- A number of ISI members
- Director of the ISI
- Director General of Statistics Netherlands
The Council advises the Executive Committee on the policies and programmes of the ISI; participates in the long-term planning process; assists the Executive Committee in the implementation of policies and programmes when appropriate; establishes and, when necessary, dissolves Committees and Special Interest Groups; and develops operating procedures for ISI Committees and Special Interest Groups.
The Permanent Office is composed of a Director and a number of staff members. The Permanent Office executes the strategic priorities of the ISI; is responsible for managing memberships, and carrying out finance administration. It is also in charge of connecting the ISI members, the ISI Executive Committee and Council, the ISI Associations, and Committees.
Permanent Office works on various fronts to help establish a global standard for ethical statistical practice, connect members, share the most recent developments in statistical techniques and practices, offer high quality scientific content, and support the development of statisticians from around the world.
- Honorary Officer for Official Statistics, Royal Statistical Society, (2018 - 2021)
- Chair, ISI Advisory Board on Ethics, (2013 - 2021)
- Vice President International Statistical Institute (2015 - 2019)
- Retired in 2012 as Director General, Office for National Statistics (ONS, UK)
- H. C. Carver Collegiate Professor of Statistics, Department of Statistics, University of Michigan
- Board of Trustees, National Institute of Statistical Science (2021-2023)
- Member of U.S. National Commission for Mathematics (2017-2021)
- Steering Group Member-at-Large, Section U of AAAS (2017-2021)
Full Professor, Department of Statistics, Seoul National University (1999 - Present)
IMS Committee on Fellows (2020 - 2023)
Head, Brain Korea 21 FOUR "SNU Future Generation Training Program for Statistical Sciences (2020 - 2027)
- Chair of the UN Statistical Commission (2022- Present)
- President, Hungarian Central Statistical Office (2010 - Present)
- Member of the Advisory Board on Ethics of the International Statistical Institute (ISI) (2022-Present)
- Distinguished Professor, Queensland University of Technology, (2016-Present)
- Invited Member, National Committee for Mathematical Sciences, Australian Academy of Science (AAS) (2020 – 2023)
- Scientific Council Committee, Centre International De Rencontres Mathematiques (CIRM), Marseille, France (2019 – Present)
- Director, Africa Centre for Statistics, UN Economic Commission for Africa
- Chartered Statistician and Chartered Scientist of the Royal Statistical Society