The ISI side event ‘Statistical Leadership – the Role of National Statistical Institutes’ will be held on 14 February 2022, at the occasion of the 53rd Session of the United Nations Statistical Commission. A panel of leading Official Statisticians will invite questions and lead the debate on the role of National Statistical Institutes in demonstrating leadership:
- nationally – within government and among the general public, and
- internationally – with international agencies.
The debate will cover the role of NSIs in working with national statistical societies, and in developing the leadership skills of statisticians. Examples will be taken from the contribution NSIs have made on public debates on COVID-19, on the population census and on sustainable indicators. The debate will highlight the importance of national governance frameworks to support the leadership role of NSIs.
The subject is relevant across the agenda of the 53rd UNSC session, but especially the discussions on sustainable development indicators, data stewardship, climate change statistics, Big Data and population censuses. The aim of the session is to share ideas and stimulate thoughts among heads of NSIs as to how best to develop the leadership role of their agency.
- Ada van Krimpen, ISI Director
- Stephen Penneck, ISI President and former Director General of the UK Office for National Statistics
- Gabriella Vukovich, ISI Vice-President and President of the Hungarian Central Statistical Office
- Anil Arora, Chief Statistician of Canada
- Prof. Ben Kiregyera, International Consultant, Uganda