The ISI Mission is to lead, support and promote the understanding, development and good practice of statistics worldwide, by providing the core global network for statistics. This is reflected in our slogan:
Statistical Science for a Better World
- To lead, support and promote the international statistical community.
- To stimulate and disseminate research, best practice and advancement in statistical science and statistical education.
- To speak up for the profession on topical statistical issues.
- To advocate and foster statistical literacy, the use of statistics and data in decision making by governments, businesses and individuals.
- To grow the statistical community in developing countries and help it to be more inclusive.
- To promote an understanding of statistics as a force for improving people’s lives.
- To advance the development of young statisticians and to encourage the continuing participation of older members.
- To promote and develop networking within members.
- To function effectively and within its budget.
Our mission and objectives are supported by Strategic Plans developed every few years by the ISI Executive Committee in consultation with the Council. They focus on the long-term goals of the ISI and on how to realize these goals.
ISI in Action
The ISI will pursue its mission and objectives through various lines of action indicated below, as well as others developed to advance our strategy.
- Collaborating and developing partnerships with national and international statistical bodies and with other organisations to develop a worldwide voice for statistics through policy statements and strategic initiatives on a range of statistical issues, including professional ethics and statistical literacy.
- Organising World Statistics Congresses, Regional Statistics Conferences, satellite meetings and short courses.
- Promoting and delivering capacity building workshops and activities that serve the needs of the community, especially from the developing countries.
- Supporting our membership:
- through a website that communicates with members of the ISI family and highlights their activities;
- by awarding prizes for outstanding statistical contributions;
- by obtaining funding to facilitate travel for young statisticians and statisticians from developing countries to conferences and workshops;
- by supporting and collaborating with international, national and regional statistical societies;
- by providing networks through outreach committees, special interest groups and regional networks;
- by facilitating collaboration through virtual meetings using modern technology;
- by reporting examples of successful influence, intervention and interaction with politicians and the media to promote our values;
- by maintaining a comprehensive listing of statistical conferences and events, and a glossary of statistical terms.
- Publishing our journals: International Statistical Review and Stat.
- Supporting and working with the ISI Associations.